This post was most recently updated on August 4th, 2017
Spirituality is considered as one of the highest forms of living as per Indian heritage and scriptures. Even as per Christianity in New Testament Jesus says give your load on to me I will bear it. He also mentions for a women who desires to fetch water that he gives such water which will never exhaust and she will never be thirsty again. There will be a oasis of wisdom in her if she takes what he gives.
In one more instance he says when god decorates even simple things like grass so beautifully how will he decorate important beings like humans.
Even Muslim community stresses on daily prayers indicating people to lead spiritual lives.
Even you can notice there is construction of new temples, churches, mosques everywhere and people arriving in huge masses to almost every pilgrim spot. So it seems that human spiritual consciousness has increased than before in recent times.
But why so many people are turning towards spirituality?
People go for spirituality because of one or more of the below reasons.
- Out of depression: When people are depressed or failed in life, then spirituality seems to be their only companion as it gives them compassion and mental relief. This is because they will be unable to tolerate the people’s behavior around, the society, unwilling to believe any one, lack of faithful friends or family members etc. So spirituality helps them get free from this worldly discomfort in times of grief.
- For peace of mind: This is quite opposite of the above. Here people go to spirituality as they are happy, successful and have no other responsibilities in life to look after. They have a feeling of achievement or successful in life and hence go for spirituality as a gratitude towards the almighty for helping them to be so.
- For health in times of sickness: In case of some health problem, nothing seems to be pacifying to heart. Then the people seek compassion and support from almighty for relief of their problems.
- For enlightenment: Those people who are not interested in materialistic life anymore or those who are fed up by the material happiness go into spirituality. These type of people are very rare now a days as this world keeps on attracting such people by luring objects and articles. Yet these people who are determined get into deeper levels of spirituality by meditation, yoga, visiting pilgrimages, other holy people etc.
- For personal molding: Spirituality is good way for personal development and molding of character. It can help overcome some bad traits like fret of anger, lack of patience, rude behavior etc.
- To get rid of addictions: For those people who are addicted there are rehabilitation centers. But interestingly some people who desire to lose addictions revert to spirituality and get successful.
I recently watched a television program where in those who are alcohol addicts go to a temple on some special day. There they drink to their heart contents on that day, get their heads shaved as a mark of promise to the deity in the temple and then after stay away from alcohol for the whole year. Seems to sound interesting isn’t it.
7. Due to affection towards the creator or almighty. This is the mighty factor and also seen in many but they keep themselves in this world of pleasure for just their duty but internally always they try to think of the lord in their hearts. For them no other thing in this world is so sweet or pleasant than the almighty.
Of all the types of why people get into spirituality, this is the best mode as they need no teacher or guru. They are always in his consciousness and happy. They do their duties sincerely as mark of respect to the lord who gave them the duty. They lead a hart fulfilled life.