Rivers are the lifeline of our civilizations.
Most of the civilizations were established and flourished near the rivers.
Importance of rivers
- Support living and civilizations
- For farming and agriculture
- Scope of transport
- Water storage and energy generation
- Enhance the economy.
- Support nature.
Support living and civilizations
- Most of the human civilizations started near the rivers.
- This is because water is an essential need for living next to air.
- Rivers provide clean and fresh water for all the daily needs of life like drinking, cooking, washing, cleaning, etc.
- Hence, whenever people migrated or wanted to establish a new colony, they set it up near a river.
- Rivers are major sources of irrigation for agriculture.
- Unlike rains, rivers enable cropping in the summer season too.
- That too, they provide an option for the farmer to irrigate the crop as per requirements.
- The river water is rich is in nutrients, elements needed for crop growth. Hence, the crop yield is high and profitable.
Scope of transport
- Since most towns and villages are situated near river banks, rivers are also used to transport.
- People travel from one place to another through rivers using boats.
- Even in some countries, rivers transport goods as it is less expensive and accessible to remote areas.
Water storage by dams
- Rivers facilitate the storage of water.
- This stored water can be used to manage harsh summers and drought conditions.
- Further, this water, while being released, is used to generate hydroelectricity. This electricity is environmental-friendly too.
Enhance the economy.
- Rivers contribute to the economy in areas that are largely dependent on agriculture.
- This is the reason why there are conflicts among countries that share rivers.
- Due to rivers, there is a possibility of more than two crops in a year.
- This leads to sufficient farm produce, which can be exported and enhance the nation’s financial reserves.
- Industries related to steel, cement, chemicals require huge amounts of water.
- Even such industries can be set up in those areas with access to rivers as they can be provided with sufficient water all around the year.
- Rivers also provide an option for fishing, which is a major source of income for fishers.
Rivers also are a major source of attraction for tourists.
- Rivers support nature in many ways.
- They help carry the excess water from lakes, pools, streams into the sea.
- They are places of habitat for many types of fishes, birds, and other animals.
- Many forests grow near the rivers, and it leads to green vegetation for other animals to thrive.
- Many animals live in the forest, which is closer to some river.
- The presence of a river satisfies the drinking needs and food sources for animals.