Impact of Advertisement | On the Society and Our Daily Life
The impact of advertisement is tremendous on the society, economy, youth and daily life. We see ads everywhere like roadside flexes, airports, television shows etc. One cannot avoid them and they forceful penetrate the human brain and thought.
But, they are not restricted by governments as they are the major source of income for many big companies like Google, Yahoo, Newspapers, television channels etc. Even many major sports events are sponsored through ads by big companies.
Positive Impact of advertisement on society:
Ads are aimed to capture the minds of people who view them and pass information without asking for. This information can be positive, negative, manipulative, political and even misleading.
1. Enhance mass purchases: Many ads are designed to enhance sales of products by companies. This mass purchasing would be beneficial to the seller. But, it would not be so for the customer or sometimes the environment.
This is because some products are designed just to get sales without the actual need for it. In doing so, they contribute to a lot of plastic waste and harm to the environment.
2. Bring awareness: Not everyone in the world knows about new products or methods. These products can be very helpful for health, nutrition, education etc. Ads bring awareness about them to the common man and helpful gain benefit.
3. Employment: Advertisements provide employment for many people. Starting from the models, the technicians, layman, etc. everyone makes money through advertisements. Even television channels, government gain revenue as charges and taxes.
4. Entertainment: Most television channels provide entertainment for the audience for free of charge. This is possible due to advertisement revenue they get to run the channel.
Even sports events like football, boxing, cricket are sponsored by advertisements. If not for money thorough ads there would not be so many competitions happening on regular basis.
5. Help stay updated: Advertisement display lifestyle and other improvements in life. This way they help audience stay updated in life regarding technology and developments.
The negative impact of advertisements in our life
1. Misuse freedom of expression
2. Mislead people in the wrong way
3. Disregard for society and law
4. Chances of scams and fraud
5. Disturb the valuable human thought.
Misuse freedom of expression: Just like media news outlets, ads sometimes misuse freedom of expression. They can hurt sentiments of few religions or communities. This has happened in many instances in the past and governments had to step in to mitigate the controversy.
Mislead people and youth in the wrong way: Though some products are not good enough to perform as promised by ads, still they are promoted. This is done just with business in mind and not customer benefit.
Some companies run a long time advertisement for such useless products just to make people get habituated to use them. In doing so they try to prevent the growth of other better brands.
Disregard for society and law: Some ads disregard law. For instance, some medicines are not to be displayed as ads by law. But still, advertisements are put up by companies just to enhance sale. They are even ready to bear the court fine which just negligible than the income the company gains through the product sale due to ad display.
Chances of scams and fraud: There are some ads which are purely fraudulent. They try to entice people in making a purchase with false promise. This can be sometimes related to employment, investment etc. When the visitor connects with them, he gets cheated. And since he is far away from the company local point, he gives up fighting.
Disturb the valuable human thought and mind: Not all people like ads. Not all people like to see ads all the time. Even there are ads beside the roads which are distractible during driving.
So, ads disturb the human mind a lot. When our eyes see the ad, there occurs a though in the mind. This requires energy and work from the mind.
In one way they can be disturbing to a common lifestyle.
Hence many people develop ad blindness i.e they intentionally avoid seeing ads. For some people presence of ads in television and websites is irritating even.
Yet the ads are the main source of income for those free television shows or websites. If these shows or websites are to remain free for use by visitors or audience then the display of ads is inevitable.
Impact of advertisement on the economy
Ads pay free television shows:
Ads provide free shows like games (cricket, tennis, soccer) by sponsoring them. Ads also sponsor the television shows and websites to make them free for visitors.
Ads pay to the players and athletes so many players make good money during their career. This acts as a boost to perform themselves better in game.
Ads are done to avail tax benefits. Ads are produced to get tax benefits from the government. So this way the companies are encouraged to make publicity of their products.
Ads can help raise the sale of the product at the new launch. Ads can help new businesses succeed. Without ads, most new fail to survive in the market.