If you just wish to avail yourself of his blessings fast, simply chant ‘Om Namah Shivaya” 101 times daily. You will see a quick turnaround in your problems.
If you wish to pray sincerely, then read further.
He is said to have no birth and also does not need other divine support for his excellence.
Shiva is the one who gives blessings to the wishes of the devotees faster than any other gods.
His son Lord Ganesha is considered to be the one eligible for the first worship. So devotees, during any form of Hindu puja or rituals, offer their prayer to Lord Ganesha.
Lord Shiva is also addressed by many other names like
Trinethra = Three-eyed one (3rd one in the forehead)
Neelakanta= Due to the blue neck (It is said he consumed poison and stored it in his neck)
Jatadhara= One with long hair.
Gangadhara= As river Ganges emerges out of his head.
How to pray Lord Shiva
Lord Shiva is the embodiment of energy, longevity, and selflessness. So, we should worship him with that in mind.
He is considered as the god residing in burial grounds indicating his disregard for worldly pleasures.
Unlike other gods, he needs no ornaments or beautiful cloth for decoration.
Just plain white ash (vibhuti) is sufficient to pray effectively.
The way he has become the god and his story of emergence can be found in the book Shiva mahapuran.
For one to get the desires or wishes blessed, he needs to pray with a composed mind and pleasant heart.
1. Visit his temple every Monday with a clean mind and body to pray. It is auspicious to visit the temple in the evening after 4:00 PM.
2. Try to wear a suitable rudraksha bead to gain instant bliss of shiva.
Wearing a rudraksha bead is like carrying shiva with you everywhere.
It is believed to prolong your life span (avoids untimely death), overcome disease, give you peace of mind, and also succeed.
3. Recite the Maha Mrutunjay’s mantra as many times as possible. This is the spell to overcome fatal diseases and untimely death.
“Om Tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim pushhtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva bandhanan mrityor mukshiya maamritath.”
4. Apply a tilak of vibudhi or bhasm on the forehead during the temple visit. This retains the energy of the chakra in the forehead.
5. Keep chanting lord as “Om Namah Shivaya” continuously in your route to the temple and back.
6. Perform worship as abhisheka to shiva linga by bhasma, water
- If available Offer Aegle marmelos leaves (bilwa leaves) as they are considered the most favorite to Lord Shiva. Put them on shiv linga.
7. Always worship Lord Ganesha before praying to Lord Shiva. He is supposed to remove any obstacles in the course of prayer and receive blessings thereon.
8. It will be a good sign to light a deep or Jyoti as it is a prayer to lord shakti, the other form of goddess Parvathi, the wife of Lord Shiva.
9. If possible, offer flowers of Calotropis gigantea (Swallow wart, Jilledu plant, Madar Tree, Gigantic milkweed, Mudar, Aak) for Shiva puja.
Both bilwa and jilledu are ones that can be found in nearby farms or forests. It is more auspicious to get them from a natural source than buying from a shop.
10. If possible, visit any one of the jyotirlingas (see bottom link).
11. If the prayer is on Monday, carry some prasad to the temple. If possible, distribute to the people there.
Who should worship Lord Shiva?
1. People with chronic diseases struggle to get rid of the suffering and lead a normal life. Lord Shiva’s blessing helps overcome the illness, suffering and prevents even the untimely death.
2. Those desirous of getting a baby by proper carriage without abortions should pray shiva.
3. Those willing to achieve spiritual progress and enlightenment.
4. Those who wish to achieve high goals in life can worship Sada Shiva.
5. Shiva’s god story is quite interesting in that he was in love and married. So he might even bless lovers.
6. Those who have weak or troublesome moon in their Vedic astrology chart.
In general, pundits advise them to wear a pearl gemstone.
But praying to God Shiva and goddess Parvathi will be more beneficial. Even they may not require to wear a pearl gemstone.
How to worship Lord Shiva at home
1. Do a regular prayer to Shiva lingam at home during the early morning and evenings every day.
2. Wash the shiv linga and apply vibhuti or bhasm.
3. Light a deep and incense stick.
4. Recite “Om Namah Shiva” a few times.
5. On Mondays especially offer milk or any sweet made with milk to the lord.
Lord Shiva is one of the most sought-after Hindu gods as witnessed by the number of temples all over the world. He is also said to have incarnated as lord hanuman during Ramayan.
If you are an atheist or not a believer of Shiva or you have doubts like is god real, then go for a deal with Shiva.
Ask him for something and go for his prayer if it happens. This might help you overcome doubts about the presence of god.
For more stories on Shiva, you can go through Shiva Purana.