Corruption is a habit, and hence everyone who is in the position is susceptible to it.
Some people are ready to compete for those jobs with higher chances of corruption.
And those who don’t have the chance, expect to minimize the corruption and keep complaining about it.
But prevention and eradication of corruption is an absolute requirement for better public life. This corruption takes an interesting turn in such a way that everyone becomes corrupt in some other sort if the situation permits. The below-mentioned tips are written from the perspective of corruption in developing countries.
Corruption is prevalent in all the countries in some or other ways.
This is because of the thieves of state who are not interested in how to stop corruption.
Tips on how to stop corruption and prevent it
1. Give a better salary in govt jobs: Many employees in government positions receive a low wage like clerks, office staff, etc. Hence they expect to make money through bribery. For this, they try to delay the work for so long that the client is fed up and opts for bribery for progress in the work. So the low salary is one of the reasons for corruption. To curb this, their salaries should be raised periodically.
2. Increase the number of workers: In many offices of the government sector, the workload has gone up drastically, but the recruitment of vacancies has declined. This gives an option for delaying the work by officials and expect monetary or other benefits for faster completion.
3. Law to dismiss from service if found to be involved in corruption. This seems a better option. For instance, if you see cases where anti-corruption bureau rides an officer home and finds disproportionate assets, the officer is suspended from employment and taken for judicial trials. But after a couple of years, you will find them in employment at the same or even better positions. So this creates no fear among the officials against corruption.
Further, some officers are never caught up for corruption during their tenure in office. In such a case, laws should be enacted to punish even during their retirement after service.
4. Camera in most govt offices: In every ATM there is a camera to keep a watch on the public taking their money. Then why not government offices have cameras to have a watch on employee performance. Even there are many employs who openly take the bribe in the presence of ordinary men. This public bribery is due to confidence that the public wants their work more than the amount they are paying to them as bribes.
5. Speed up the work process in govt institutes: Most corporate offices are in full-fledged running by 8-9 am. But the government offices start at 10 to 11 am and wind up by 3.30 to 4 pm with a lunch break of one & a half hour in between. This indicates how much commitment lies in work and how fast the work goes on. If there are mistakes in the work or delay in the work, civilians have to run behind those workers to rectify or complete the work. In doing so, they pay bribes to get the work done. This makes the chances of corruption more or else work is not done. So there should be accountability of daily work done in government works and targets to complete the work on a time basis. Or else instead of being public servants, they tend to act as public bosses.
6. Make Media responsible and fix laws to be so: There are many major scams and corruption events involving media. Though the media is well aware of the corruption happening they stay silent due to their support for some political parties or else their owners get some monetary benefits from the rulers. Even there are many reporters who are aware of some scam or corruption; they stay silent without revealing it to the press for having received monetary benefits to do so. If media personnel is found to be guilty of not having exposed the scam or corruption intentionally, they have to be prosecuted, and their licenses are withdrawn.
Sometimes media deliberately try to hide scandals or corrupt issues. Media outlets should be forced to put up advertisements about corrupt officers or companies just like normal ads to bring awareness in public and also shame the company.
7. Verify the selection procedures: Many people compete for government jobs and in the process, there is corruption happening in the selection of candidates for the posts. So let the selection criteria and procedure used to be transparent, and any misconduct from this should be punishable.
Also while allotment of natural resources for business companies, the selection of bids should be transparent. There should be online details with regards to the benefit to the government, the purchase price and even benefit the company out of the deals. This will limit the corruption related to quid pro quo.
8. Keep inflation low: This is another factor for keeping corruption high and also persistent. Due to a rise in prices, any amount of income seems to be insufficient. This inflation is corruption involving politicians and businessmen. Businessmen try to raise the prices to sell their inventory or stock of goods at a higher price. For this, the politicians support them and are paid monetary or other benefits. This is a cheap business tactic, but even the so-called richest business magnets play this corruption game. So, keeping inflation low not only minimizes corruption but also reduces poverty.
9. Keep transactions online and provide a bill for every purchase: Many of them do not pay taxes and escape This involves corruption. Making payments online through bank accounts and provision of bills for every transaction involving money. This is a better corruption watch.
In other words, the public should opt for cashless transactions where possible. This will limit the corruption related to money.
10. Speed up the judgment and increase the courts: Many cases of corruption take years to be given a verdict. This delay in cases creates a lack of fear of being corrupt and also huge time span for court trials gives sufficient time to make alterations in the witness. Establishing fast-track courts and giving severe punishment for corruption practice will keep control of corruption.
Besides these, there should be collective efforts from the public to prevent corruption.
If there is a corruption for so long, it indicates even the people voting for their leaders do not consider this and vote based on fantasy or factors like religion, etc.
Even though option like electronic financial transactions, enhanced vigilance are put into practice, still corruption can occur if the public is not united to eradicate it. So the mindset of the public plays a significant role here.
Note: If you have any other methods which you think will work to stop corruption, kindly share them below.:-).