How to Calm the Mind? 8 Easy Tips
A mind is a chatterbox in all of us. But to some, it is quite disturbing and troublesome.
It does not stay calm and is flooded with thoughts either useful or useless.
But this constant mind chatter leads to health issues and also deprives happiness in life.
This mind’s hyperactivity is seen due to some psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, PTSD etc.
Also, it is seen in those who lead a sedentary life or those who stay a lot before the computer, internet, video games etc.
Further, this becomes a habit and is difficult to rest.
On long standing, it tends to lead to heart arrhythmia, paralysis, depression, insomnia, fickle mindedness etc.
So one needs to calm down the mind and relax for better health and peaceful life.
The factors contributing to mental hyperactivity.
The current lifestyle permits for a hyperactive mind. Due to lack of social time to chat, spend time for
oneself, one is always forced to mingle with modern gadgets or technology during spare time.
Also due to television, video games, smartphones, social websites, people tend to be ever busy with
themselves. So the mind is kept active for long.
1. Lack of physical activity: In the past one needed to walk a lot, work by physical means, and play outdoor games etc. so he had less energy for the mind. Due to his the mind seemed to be tired and as ready for rest.
But in the modern days, there is less physical work and more of mental work. So the mind has been addicted to being overactive. We see many around us who are busy with their smartphones. Instead of talking and building relationships with colleagues, we build relationships on social sites. So the more the brain is engaged in thinking, creativity, and fun. While the other body is complete rest.
2. Lack of nutritious food: This is another factor which many of us do not consider. Due to modernization, we seem to know a lot about nutrition and health. But to be fact, the food we eat now is less nutritious than before. This is because the food plants are exposed to toxins, pollutants a lot. So food ingredients also have them to some extent decreasing their food value. The current food is not that healthy as before. Even we can see that food quality regulating bodies like FDI etc. fix a limit of toxins in food but do not completely avoid them.
3. Desires and goals. Nowadays, it seems to be a progressive approach to think of dreams and goals etc.
In doing so we to focus the mind and achieve something big in life. But we forget the thought of luck and
destiny in it. I have noticed that by dreaming of some goals, I made my mind excited and hyperactive.
This, in the long run, seems to be more harmful than good. To be rich we dream and to achieve that
dream we work hard. But there are people who wanted to be rich and got rich by use of others skill. So
goals and desires should not overtax our brain. Otherwise, it will lead to a hyperactive mind.
4. Nature of work. Previously one needed to go to schools or some gathering for knowledge. But now one
can get it from his smartphone or e-book. So the activity of mind has gone up but the activity of the body
has diminished greatly. The body seems to have lost control over the mind and vice-versa. So we need to seek physical works than bench works for better mind activity.
5. Pollution: This is a silent yet powerful cause. Most of the use prone to one or other sort of pollution every
day. Like dust pollution, sound, radiation (mobiles and wifi) etc. This pollution has greatly affected the
health and weakened the body. It seems that radiation pollution is the cause of depression, heart
arrhythmia, giddiness etc. These mental related issues do not seem to harm immediately but do it in a long time.
How to calm your mind:
1. Heavy Physical work: Physical work burns out excess calories and limits the energy available for the brain. The more the excess energy in the body, the more the thoughts and mental activity. Since physical workouts burn it away, the brain will be less active. Also, the rest of the body with flexible and active to keep the brain in control.
2. Exercise and Physical workouts: It is not possible to perform heavy works for all due to the nature of jobs. So for them, physical workouts like jogging, walking, swimming, the gym will be helpful in burning off the excess energy and keeping the body fit. Remember the phrase “A sound mind in a Sound Body“.
3. Yoga: Yoga is a body practice to keep the mind activity at control. It uses different techniques to keep the mind and body in proper coordination. Regular yoga gives proper self-control over the mind. Even respiration dependent yoga like pranayamas are great for thought control.
4. Meditation: A deeper focus into internal peace and relaxation is provided by meditation. Regular practice of meditation every day will help calm the mind in a few weeks.
5. Social gatherings: This is a very natural method. If you feel hyperactive, go and meet some people and have a chat. It will slow your mind fast. So it is better to have regular meeting with friends and family for a stable and calm mind. Also, better relationships keep you stress-free and relax better.
6. Rest and sleep: Staying awake at night for long also keeps the mind active. Haven’t you noticed that when you miss the routine sleep schedule on any particular day your mind is hyperactive? Even you find it difficult to sleep after. So sleep and rest adequately to relax and calm the mind.
7. Reading and writing: This is another technique to calm your mind from unwanted thoughts. Reading fills your mind with thoughts regarding what you read. So reading any pleasant adventures, spiritual books etc will calm your mind. Writing brings coordination of hand with mind and helps slow your mind and thoughts have to slow down to convert into words by hand.
8. Plan of work: Early in the morning when you are awake and going for walk or getting ready, make plans on what you want to do in the day. This puts a lot of focus on what to do at the moment than unnecessary thoughts flooding the mind. Also, this plan of work helps stay disciplined and complete work making you stress-free. Stress relief calms the mind and helps to relax.