The effect of technology on the environment is so huge that there are drastic climate changes worldwide.
The damage is seen in the form of global warming, extinction of birds, plants, and also a greater propensity for diseases.
The summers are getting super hot while the winters are getting very chill.
Also, the cold countries are experiencing less cold while hot is experiencing colder and vice-versa.
This makes normal living quite tough than usual. We may need to adopt comforts like air condition systems to tackle the change.
But this will be detrimental to the animals, plants, and climate as a whole.
These changes are due to increased pollution, heat generation, inactive life habits, excess reliance on gadgets.
How technology affects the environment
1) Increase in Travel
- This point might seem awkward but, we indeed travel a lot nowadays than in the past.
- Previously people used to travel very little due to the lack of automobiles.
- But due to enhanced technology and speed in automobiles, we travel more and unnecessarily sometimes.
- By this, we contribute to air pollution directly. We go on tours around the world and even on long drives.
- This was done even previously when the technology was low. But then the chances of pollution were meager.
- We relied on horses, camels, and bulls to travel by road. By seas, we relied on large boats and vessels.
- These methods of travel are time-consuming but are less polluting.
- But current technology is so advanced that we travel from one part of the world to another in a short time.
- This is great but has a greater risk for human life and the environment.
- The pollution generated from these travels is huge. It is in the form of air, water, and even noise pollution types. These pollutions pose health hazards.
- Also, there is a lack of physical exercise, and we develop sedentary habits.
2) Excess power consumption
- Power consumption is high due to technology.
- We use technology in education, the workplace, at home, and even in remote places. We are addicted to television, smartphones, and other gadgets.
- So we always need electric energy to make them work non-stop.
- This electric energy is generated by the use of fossil or nuclear fuels on a large scale. The previous man did not need electricity throughout the day.
- He needed it for night lighting. Now he needs it 24 hours and in all the seasons to keep his gadgets running.
3) We generate more waste
- We contribute a large amount of toxic waste in the name of technological up-gradation.
- Previously people used large-sized computers. For this, we needed large monitors, CPUs, separate keyboards, mouse, etc.
- Now we tend to use laptops and tablets for their compactness and portability.
- They do not have separate parts like monitors, keyboards, etc.
- So in upgrading to laptops, all the large-size desktop computers were disposed into the environment.
- Similarly, tungsten bulbs were replaced by fluorescent bulbs, which were again replaced by incandescent bulbs.
- These are highly toxic due to the presence of heavy metals like mercury lead in them.
- This can cause a serious life-threatening health issue.
- Though older technology is the platform for the development of new technology, we generate much technological waste which is harmful to the environment.
4) Excess use of gadgets
- Now a day we can see many people on the roads, trains, and even parks busy on their mobiles or tablets.
- This is more of an addiction to gadgets and the apps inside.
- This leads to the need for WiFi and other wireless connectivity.
- Due to this wireless technology, radiation exposure is high leading to silent health problems.
- Even it is believed that some birds also get extinct in the region of these wifi-enabled areas.
5) Excess Deforestation
- In the name of development, comfort, etc., there is widespread deforestation.
- This is possible due to the larger capacity of machinery technology.
- We can make a wide clearing of greenery in a very short span and also dig tunnels through the hills and mountains.
- Moreover, we layout vast roads by the clearing of greenery around.
- Also, this increase in technology makes it easier to build many houses and resorts.
- However, it seems enjoyable to humans. It is affecting nature.
- Hence we can see the rapid extinction of many plants, birds, and animals due to widespread deforestation.
- This is detrimental to the normal environment and climate around.
- Those countries with a good percentage of forest area have a comparatively friendly environment.
- Air pollution and health risks due to vehicle traffic
- Environmental impact of tourism.
- Energy and its Impact on the Environment
- Our phones and gadgets are now endangering the planet