3 . Apply a tilak of vibudhi or basm on the forehead during the temple visit.
4. Keep chanting lord as “Om Namah Shivaya” continuously in your route to temple and back.
5. Perform worship as abhisekam to shiva linga by bhasma, water
Offer bilwa leaves as they are considered the most favorite to lord shiva. Put them on shiv linga
6. Always worship lord Ganesha before praying to lord Shiva. He is supposed to remove any obstacles in the course of prayer and blessings thereon.
7. It will be a good sign to light a deepa or jyoti as it is prayer to lord shakti the other form of goddess parvathi the wife of lord shiva.
8. If possible offer jilledu flowers (Madar Tree, Gigantic-Swallow-Wort, Mudar, Aak) for shiva puja.
Both bilwa and jilledu are the ones which can be found in the nearby farms or forest. It is more auspicious to get from natural source than buying from a shop.
9. If possible visit any one of the jyotirlingams near your place if in India. Like Varanasi, srisailam, nashik, Ujjain etc.
10. If the prayer is on Monday carry some prasad to temple. If possible distribute to the people there.
Who should worship lord Shiva.
1. Those with chronic diseases or disorders to get rid or minimize the suffering. Even the untimely death is prevented by lord Shiva blessing.
2.Those desirous of getting a baby by proper carriage if there are repeated abortions before.
3. Those willing to achieve spiritual progress and enlightenment.
4. Those who wish to achieve high goals in life can worship sada Shiva.
5. Shiva god story is quite interesting that he was in love and married. So he might even bless lovers.
6. Those who are having weak or trouble some moon in their vedic astrology chart. In general pundits advice them to wear a pearl gemstone. But praying to god Shiva and goddess parvathi will be more beneficial. Even they may not require to wear a pearl gemstone.
How to worship lord shiva at home
1. Do a regular prayer to shiva lingam at home during the early morning and also evenings everyday.
2. Wash the shiv linga and apply vibhuti or bhasm.
3. Light a deepa, Incense sticks, also known as agarbathi can be light besides.
4. Recite “namah shiva” few times.
5. On Mondays especially offer milk or any sweet made with milk to the lord.
Lord Shiva is one of the most sought after Hindu gods as witnessed by the number of temples in India. He is also said to have incarnated as lord hanuman during ramayan.
If are not a believer of shiva or you have doubts like is god real, then go for deal with shiva, like ask him for something and say will go for his prayer if it happens. This might help you overcome doubts on presence of god.
For more story on Shiva, you can go through Shiva purana or Understanding shiva. Even there is a Hindi video episode on youtube by TV channel Life OK as Devon Ke Dev Mahadev and hara hara maha dev on other regional languages.