Corruption is a habit and hence everyone who is in the position are susceptible to it.
There are people who are ready to compete for those jobs with greater chances of corruption. And those who don’t have the chance, expect to minimize the corruption and keep complaining about it.
But prevention and eradication of corruption is an absolute requirement for better social and public life. This corruption takes an interesting turn in such a way that everyone becomes corrupt in some other sort if situation permits. The below mentioned tips are written from perspective of corruption in India.
Yet corruption is prevalent in all the countries in some or other ways and the question of how to stop corruption rises.
Tips on how to stop corruption and prevent it
1. Give better salary in govt jobs: Many employees in government positions receive low salary like clerks, office staff etc. Hence they expect to make money by bribery. For this they try to delay the work for so long that the client is fed up and opts for bribery for progress in the work. So low salary is one of the reasons for corruption. To curb this their salaries should be raised periodically.
2. Increase the number of workers: In many offices of the government sector, the work load has gone up drastically but the recruitment of vacancies has declined This gives an option for delaying the work by officials and expect monetary or other benefits for faster completion.
3. Law to dismiss from service if found to be involved in corruption. This seems a better option. For instance if you see cases where anti-corruption bureau rides an officers home and finds disproportionate assets, the officer is suspended from employment and taken for judicial trials. But after couple of years you will find them in employment at same or even better positions. So this creates no fear among the officials against corruption.
4. Keep transactions online and provide bill for every purchase: Many of them do not pay taxes and escape This involves corruption. Making payments online through bank accounts and provision of bills for every transaction involving money. This is a better corruption watch.
In other words, public should opt for cashless transactions where possible. This will limits the corruption related to money.
5. Camera in most govt offices: In every ATM there are camera to keep a watch on the public taking their money. Then why not government offices have cameras to have a watch on the employ performance. Even there are many employ’s who openly take bribe in presence of common men. This public bribery is due to confidence that public wants their work more than the amount they are paying to them as bribes.
6. Speed up the work process in govt institutes: Most corporate offices are in full fledged running by 8-9 am. But the government offices start by 10 to 11 am and wind up by 3.30 to 4 pm with a lunch break of one & half hour in between. This indicates how much of commitment lies in the work and how fast the work goes on. If there are mistakes in the work or delay in the work, civilians have to run behind those workers to rectify or complete the work. In doing so they pay bribes to get the work done. This makes the chances of corruption more or else work is not done. So there should be accountability of daily work done in government works and targets to complete the work on time basis. Or else instead of being public servants, they tend to act as public bosses.
7. Make Media responsible and fix laws to be so: There are many major scams and corruption events involving media. Though the media is well aware of the corruption happening they stay silent due to their support for some political parties or else their owners get some monetary benefits from the rulers. Even there are many reporters who though come across some scam or corruption, they stay silent without revealing it for press for having received monetary benefits to do so. If media personnel are found to be guilty for not having exposed the scam or corruption intentionally, they have to be prosecuted and their license be withdrawn.
8. Verify the selection procedures: Many people compete for government jobs and in the process there are corruption happening in the selection of candidates for the posts. So let the selection criteria and procedure used be transparent and any misconduct from this should be punishable.
Also while allotment of natural resources for business companies, the selection of bids should be transparent. There should be online details with regards to the benefit to the government, the purchase price and even benefit to the company out of the deals. This will limit the corruption related to quid pro quo.
9. Keep inflation low: This is another factor for keeping corruption high and also persistent. Due to rise in prices, any amount of income seems to be insufficient. This inflation is a corruption involving politicians and businessmen. Businessmen try to rise the prices to sell their inventory or stock of goods at higher price. For this the politicians support them and are paid monetary or other benefits. This is a cheap business tactic but even the so called richest business magnets play this corruption game.
10. Speed up the judgment and increase the courts: Many cases of corruption take years to be given verdict. This delay in cases creates lack of fear for being corrupt and also huge time span for court trials gives sufficient time to make alterations in the witness. Establishing fast track courts and giving severe punishment for corruption practice will keep a control on corruption.
Besides these there should be collective efforts from the public to prevent corruption. If there is corruption for so long, it indicates even the people voting for their leaders do not consider this and vote based on fantasy or factors like religion etc.
Note: If you have any other methods which you think will work to stop corruption, kindly share them below….:-)