Mind is a chatter box in all of us. But to some it is quite disturbing and troublesome.
It does not stay calm and is flooded with thoughts either useful or useless.
But this constant mind chatter leads to health issues and also deprives happiness in life.
This mind hyper activity is seen due to some psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, PTSD etc.
Also it is seen in those who lead sedentary life or those who stay a lot before computer, internet, video games etc.
Further this becomes a habit and is difficult to rest.
On long standing it tends to lead to heart arrhythmia, paralysis, depression, insomnia, fickle mindedness etc.
So one needs to calm down the mind and relax for better health and peaceful life.
The factors contributing to mental hyper activity.
The current lifestyle permits for hyperactive mind. Due to lack of social time to chat, spend time for
oneself, one is always forced to mingle with modern gadgets or technology during spare time.
Also due to television, video games, smart phones, social websites, people tend to be ever busy with
themselves. So the mind is kept active for long.
1. Lack for physical activity: In the past one needed to walk a lot, work by physical means, and play
outdoor games etc. so he had less energy for mind. Due to his the mind seemed to be tired and as ready
for rest. But in the modern days there is less physical work, and more of mental work. So the mind has
been addicted to be ever active. We see many around us who are busy on their smart phones. Instead of
talking and building relationships with colleagues, we build relationships on social sites. So the more the
brain is engaged in thinking, creativity and fun. While the other body is complete rest.
2. Lack of nutritious food: This is another factor which many of us do not consider. Due to modernization we seem to know a lot about nutrition and health. But to be fact, the food we eat now is less nutritious than before. This is because the food plants are expose to toxins, pollutants a lot. So food ingredients also have them to some extent decreasing their food value. The current food is not that healthy as before. Even we can see that food quality regulating bodies like FDI etc. fix a limit of toxins in food but do not completely avoid them.
3. Desires and goals. Now days, it seems to be a progressive approach to think of dreams and goals etc.
In doing so we to focus the mind and achieve something big in life. But we forget the thought of luck and
destiny in it. I have noticed that by dreaming of some goals, I made my mind excited and hyper active.
This on the long run seems to be more harmful than good. To be rich we dream and to achieve that
dream we work hard. But there are people who wanted to be rich and got rich by use of others skill. So
goals and desires should not over tax our brain. Otherwise it will lead to hyper active mind.
4. Nature of work. Previously one needed to go to schools or some gathering for knowledge. But now one
can get it from his smart phone or e-book. So the activity of mind has gone up but the activity of body
has diminished greatly. The body seems to have lost control on the mind and vice-verse. So we need to
seek physical works than bench works for better mind activity.
5. Pollution: This is a silent yet powerful cause. Most of use prone to one or other sort of pollution every
day. Like dust pollution, sound, radiation (mobiles and wifi) etc. This pollution has greatly affected the
health and weakened the body. It seems that radiation pollution is the cause of depression, heart
arrhythmia, giddiness etc. These mental related issues do not seem to harm immediately but do it in long
How to calm your mind:
1. Heavy Physical wok: Physical work burns out excess calories and limits the energy available for brain. The more the excess energy in the body, the more the thoughts and mind activity. Since physical workouts burn it away, the brain will be less active. Also the rest of the body with flexible and active to keep the brain in control.
2. Exercise and Physical workouts: It is not possible to to perform heavy works for all due to the nature of jobs. So for them physical workouts like jogging, walking, swimming, gym will be helpful in burning of the excess energy and keeping the body fit. Remember the phrase “A sound mind in a Sound body“.
3. Yoga: Yoga is a body practice to keep the mind activity at control. It uses different techniques to keep the mind and body in proper coordination. Regular yoga gives proper self control over the mind. Even respiration dependent yoga like pranayams are great for thought control.
4. Meditation: A deeper focus into internal peace and relaxation is provided by meditation. Regular practice of meditation everyday will help clam the mind in few weeks.
5. Social gatherings: This is a very natural method. If you feel hyper active, go and meet some people and have a chat. It will slow your mind fast. So it is better to have regular meeting with friends and family for stable and calm mind. Also better relationships keep you stress free and relax better.
6. Rest and sleep: Staying awake at night for long also keeps the mind active. Haven’t you noticed that when you miss the routine sleep schedule on any particular day your mind is hyper active. Even you find it difficult to sleep after. So sleep and rest adequately to relax and calm the mind.
7. Reading and writing: This is another technique to calm you mind from unwanted thoughts.Reading fills you mind with thoughts regarding what you read. So reading any pleasant adventures, spiritual books etc will calm you mind. Writing brings coordination of hand with mind and helps slow your mind and thoughts have to slow down to convert into words by hand.
8. Plan of work: Early in the morning when you are awake and going for walk or getting ready, make plans on what you want to do in the day. This puts lot of focus on what to do at the moment than unnecessary thoughts flooding the mind. Also this plan of work helps stay disciplined and complete work making you stress free. Stress relief calms the mind and helps to relax.